Saturday, March 11, 2006

Lasers

Today I am recovering from having laser eye surgery. Yesterday was an intense day filled with lots of new experiences. I was able to get the day off from work to go to Saddleback Eye Center in Laguna Hills, CA to get a laser eye consultation. All went well and I decided to go ahead with the surgery same day. First lots of measurements and pictures were taken of my eyes, then after visits with a half dozen doctors and nurses it was time to go under the knife, I mean laser beam. When the numbing eye drops had taken affect I was put under a laser that felt like a lot of pressure on my eye and sinus, but all in all not too painful. The second laser also entailed me having to keep my eye directly focused on a blinking red light. It was pretty uncomfortable at times but was so brief that it was done in no time at all. For the next 6 hours I slept in a nearby hotel for patients. I couldn't see much and everything was blurry. My eyes felt uncomfortable and scratchy all night. I have to sleep with these geeky sci-fi goggles on to prevent anything from scrathing my eyes during the night. Those coupled with the wrist guards my doctor ordered me to wear at night to prevent carpal tunnel make me look like such a nerd!! O well, the things we do in the name of science. Today my vision has already gotten a lot better, I will be on a strict regimin of 3 different kinds of eye drops in a stategical rotation throughout the day, in total about 30 drops per eye per day for the next 5 days, then 12 drops daily for the next 4 months. That is going to be a pain, but for the ability to see well without glasses or contacts, it's definitely worth it!

10 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger Rick Blankenship said...

Lasers and Reels and Olga, Oh My!

Hey Anthea, hope your eyes are healing up nicely. I had it done 6 years ago. Yeah, get used to the drops. I still use them occasionally and I have to wear glasses now for driving at night. But, my eyes were pretty bad before the surgery, and I would do it again in a second.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger anthea said...

hey Rick!! Yeah the eyes are slowly adjusting. Sometimes things are looking pretty hazy and blurry and other times fine. Wearing the sunglasses helps a bit. The eyedrops are getting pretty annoying but hopefully the worst will be over soon. It is definitely worth it!!

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Mau said...

hey anthea!

Thanks for posting about this. I have been considering lasik for a long time , but I had never heard about what the "after-math" is like.

Could you post some of the links you found while doing your research?

thanks!
mauricio.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger anthea said...

Sure Maurucio. Their website is http://www.saddlebackeye.com/

The way I found them was through my GP doctor, he actually had lasik done there a while back, and he knew a few people who had gone to the same place. They are so professional there and all they do is lasik, so they are pros. I completely trusted them that they knew what they were doing.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Mau said...

thanks!

I will definitely check them out.

mau.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Sara Wade said...

Wow! Anthea that sounds crazy! My sister is thinking about getting something like that done to her eyes but her prescription changes too fast. I am glad that you are recovering well - and - congrats on your new perfect vision! :-D

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger anthea said...

hey Sara!! Yeah I think there is some catch that your eyes have to stay reletively the same perscription for a while. I've been wearing the same glasses perscription for years. I hope my vision will be perfect soon, this week has been a little hazy and blurry and it could aslo be from all the eyedrops I have to take. But hopefully after a few weeks they said I would have better than 20/20.

cool!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Rebecca Perez Stodolny said...

I had it done a couple of years ago as well! I absolutley love it! No glasses to fuss with and you can see everything perfectly. In a few weeks you'll be 100% Congrats Anthea!! It takes a lot of guts to go under the laser!!

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Brian "My Fault" Nicolucci said...

Oooh, lasers!! You should have asked for a bionic arm too.

Glad the procedure went well. I know I have debated doing this as well but the thought of someone messing with my eyes kind of freaks me out!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger anthea said...

hey rebecca!! your lasik story was what finally convinced me, seems like you are super happy w the results, so far so am I!!

hey nicalocious!! where have you been? I tried your blog to no avail, did you shut it down? are you registered in class 4 at the moment?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home