Sunday, May 14, 2006

double dose of bang

In the second class at bang, we worked on spacework, making a pantomine action realistic and interesting while at the same time not letting the action take over the scene. We started off playing in a huge field of dry leaves, then a room full of cotton candy. It was interesting to attempt making walking and wading through these 2 different objects believable, not only because of the different weight and textures of the two, but all the difference in attitude each substance conveys. Then as a group we created a room full of objects, the trick was to remember what each of the objects were and to keep the integrity of the room structure. For instance if someone has created a counter top to use, the next person cannot just walk through the space the countertop inhabits. It was sort of a memory challange as well. All in all the idea of spacework is new and interesting to me, it also seems really hard to come up with objects or sets since there is such a wide range of possibilities open to you as the creator. Another important factor is making the action as simple, clear, and readable as possible this is not only for the benefit of the audience, but also your scene partner as well. This is definitely an area where animation overlaps.

In addition to my level 1 class, I also signed up for an improv class at work on Friday afternoons. Hopefully this double dose will give me an infusion of creativity to improve my animation and improv skills.

2 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger Sara Wade said...

Whoa! Anthea you are soon to be the improv queen! That is awesome. I bet it's a lot of fun and a great release to do that. :-)

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger anthea said...

hi sara!! well, i'm not that great at the improv exercises, but I'm still trying. I think doing it twice a week will help me improve faster, and I really like going to the theatre to watch the performances and more advanced students.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home